Saturday, May 8, 2010

Working Dad Dilemna

Dear Counselor,

I am a working dad with two wonderful children and an awesome wife. I have a great job that provides a stable and healthy paycheck, and overall, it just seems like "why would I want anymore." Of course, I want more!!! I have always dreamed of owning my own business, and I am right now in the process of considering making a move to open up a business with my best friend which by all accounts is anything but a "calculated and safe" move. Quite frankly, it is the kind of move that could really set my family back financially for quite some time. Needless to say, I am extremely nervous about this decision, but there is that pesky little voice inside me that continues to tell me that it is all going to work out.. sort of "if you build it they will come" moment.

What do you think I should do...

Sincerely,

Whispers in my head...
_____________________________________

Dear Whispers,

Before any good attorney goes to trial, we review the case and determine what type of strategy and/or "calculated risks" need to be explored before we even consider setting foot into a courtroom. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the case i.e. pros v. cons? Will the financial benefit outweigh the risks of investing in an expensive trial? Will a panel of six complete strangers (aka jurors) return a verdict in my favor? Depending on the complexity of the case, the questions can be infinite.

Most people believe that every trial has a 50/50 chance of winning or losing. I disagree. Personally, I have won (and lost) trials based upon tangibles like preparedness, knowledge or lack thereof with a particular issue and organization to name just a few. Likewise, trials have been won (and lost) on intangibles like passion, believability, charisma and personality/likeability.

Success in trial (and in life) is simply not defined entirely by the facts. On paper, you could have a million dollar case then something goes terribly wrong and now you have a hot mess on your hands. If you are truly passionate about "being your own boss" what are you doing each and every day to obtain this goal? Are you taking business, management and sales courses? Are you networking at every possible moment? Remember, 90% of success is merely showing up. The other 10% is not looking like an idiot once you’re there. You need to be good at your craft and GREAT at your business!

Educate yourself, become financially intelligent, read business management books, devour every opportunity to learn and network that comes your way. Then sell your case to as many complete strangers as possible and see if they would return a verdict in your favor. By selling to strangers, you not only work out the kinks but you also are solidifying that your dreams will become your reality. Perfect strangers can give you a wealth of unexpected knowledge and could become a future client.

I can tell that you are worried about putting your family and finances in a precarious position. You clearly put your family first as evidenced by your willingness to give up your dreams for their security. Trust me, if you do everything possible to tip the scales of justice in your favor, your wife and children will not only support your decision but will also thank you down the road.

When the time is right, the whispers will turn into voices, the voices into shouts, and shouts then into screams! Follow the screams… Case Closed.

Sincerely,

The Counselor

No comments:

Post a Comment